At LHS, we believe every cat has its own unique talents. Some cats are champion lap-warmers, while others prefer the great outdoors and the thrill of the hunt, just like their ancestors. These outdoor-loving, special kitties are our Horse Country Barn Cats!
An adoption program of LHS, Horse Country Barn Cats program seeks to place our wild-at-heart felines in safe, managed barns. By providing a safe haven for spayed/neutered cats unsuited to indoor living, you will save lives and help to curb pet overpopulation. In return, the Horse Country Barn Cats will work to safely and naturally keep your barns pest-free.
What LHS provides to each Horse Country Barn Cat prior to adoption:
- FeLV blood test
- Spay/neuter surgery with no sutures to remove
- Core vaccinations, including a rabies vaccination
- HomeAgain® microchip
- Flea, heartworm, and ear mite prevention
- Surgical ear-tip* (to indicate sterilization)
- Instructions to the adopter for barn introduction
What you will need to provide to an adopted Horse Country Barn Cat:
- 1-2 weeks of confinement initially to acclimate the cat to your barn
- Daily meals of cat food and fresh water—because cats cannot live on mousing alone
- Adequate shelter and protection from the elements
- Yearly rabies vaccination and appropriate veterinary care
For more information on adopting a Horse Country Barn Cat, please call (859) 233-0044 x 236.
Already have barn cats? Need to have them spayed/neutered? Click here for information about our free and low-cost Spay’sTheWay program.