Foster Care FAQ
- Kittens and puppies under the age of 8 weeks
- Moms with nursing litters
- Surgery-recovery animals
- Extra TLC animals (on medication, in need of love and socialization)
- Long-term residents who could use a break from shelter life
- Love and kindness—the most important things our animals need are free!
- A safe and secure environment and a willingness to address the animal’s individual needs
- Basic necessities such as toys, treats, and some food
- Trips back to the shelter to bring your foster in for vaccinations and check-ups as needed
- Insight into the animal’s personality to help us at time of adoption
- All medical care
- A starter kit with food and toys
- Carrier for kittens/puppies
- Collar with ID tags for animals over 3 months of age (and leash if requested)
- Crate if requested
- Support and advice
Every animal is unique and the time in your care will vary. Some may only need a week or two, while others may need a few months. The estimated timeframe for each foster animal will be explained ahead of time.
Absolutely! We do recommend foster animals be kept isolated from personal pets to reduce the spread of common shelter illnesses. While we provide all medications for foster animals, we do not provide any medical care for your personal pets. It is important to have your animals fully vaccinated before bringing home a foster animal.
We notify everyone listed in the foster care network via email when animals are ready to go into foster homes.
- Click here to complete the foster care application online, OR
- Print and complete the foster care application and mail to:
Lexington Humane Society
1600 Old Frankfort Pike
Lexington, KY 40504
Attention: Foster Care
- After receiving the application, our Foster Care Coordinator will contact you to conduct a brief phone interview and to explain the program in greater detail.
We’d love to provide you with additional info! Please call our Foster Care Coordinator at 859-233-0044 x 246 or send an email to [email protected].
Not able to foster but still want to support our foster care program?
Click here to check out our Amazon Smile wish list and purchase items to be sent directly to LHS!